Skip to main content

Keys to a successful semester

Spring semester is in full swing now (already have one exam done!), and I want to be sure that this semester is a good one. Looking back on my summer and fall semesters, I've come up with a list of things that helped me do well. Probably should try and stay on track with these things, hey?

1. Have a consistent sleep-wake pattern. 
Forgive me for sounding like a grandma (okay, I'm kind of a grandma), but I totally reworked my sleeping habits and it has really made a difference. Not only does it help me prioritize getting enough sleep (which is so vitally important, omg), it allowed me to break up my studying.

I find that studying for long stretches of time is hard. I get distracted easily. So instead, I wake up real early (like, alarm starts going off at 4:55am and it's a** in desk by 5:15) so I can study for 1-1.5 hours before I go to work. Then when I'm done with work, I have about 3 hours of study time in the evening, and I'm in bed by 9:30, leaving me with 7-7.5 hours of sleep each night.

This is a big change for a person who would have never thought she'd be a morning person, but here we are! And consistency is key. Even if I don't work, I try to get up at the same time which I think is part of why 4:55am alarms don't feel so terrible -- it's just what I do every day.

2. Fuel your brain properly by eating well.
You eat junk, you feel like junk. It can be so easy when you're feeling stressed or too busy or whatever to eat crappy foods. I get it. It's quick, it's comforting. But being a dietitian, I firmly believe in the power of healthy foods. I'm far from perfect (hello, Trader Joes frozen meals), but I try.

Have fresh fruit around. Buy baby carrots and cherry tomatoes (no prep needed!). Salad kits for life. Whole grain cereal. Low sugar yogurt. I'm not talking complicated stuff here. I'm just saying, I bet you'll feel better eating this kind of stuff than grabbing fast food on your way home.

3. Do little things to make yourself happy. 
For me, this was long walks with Milo (when the weather was nicer...) while listening to a favorite podcast. I also thoroughly enjoy winding down for 10-15 minutes before bed by reading a book. These aren't big things and they don't take much time away from studying but they make me feel good.

Heck, it's why I have this blog. Sure, it'd be cool if people read this and learned something, but for me it's a wonderful creative outlet. 

4. Give yourself grace to be imperfect. 
This is definitely still a hard one for me (and probably deserving of a post all its own), but the sooner you accept that you can't do it all, the better. You have to say "no" to friends and family, you will will eat a whole frozen pizza while buried under blankets on the couch, you will have moments of failure. You will have a running list of all the things you "should" be doing more (more flashcards, more family time, more exercise, more cooking, more attention for your dog, more practice questions ... you get the hint).

But you can't. And that's fine. That's life. For now. Not forever, but for now. Focus on your successes, take it day by day, and give yourself a break every now and then. You can't do everything but you can do anything.



5. Find a way to keep your focus. 
Set timers (50 minutes to study, 10 minute break, repeat). Hide your phone in the other room. Stay off social media. Find some good studying music. Go to the library, a coffee shop, lock yourself in your office. I don't really have the answer here (still working on this one!) but figure out the right combination of factors that allow you to really focus in.

PA school studying is a marathon, not a sprint. You're not cramming the night before -- you're cramming all the time. We're not in undergrad anymore, so be prepared to find new ways to get in (and stay in) the zone.


It's nice to take a step back and take stock in what has gone well in the past. I can already see a few tune-ups I could use as the spring semester really picks up steam (namely, still going on long walks with Milo even if it is cold, and staying the heck off of social media while I'm trying to study!).

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t