Skip to main content

Listen up! Podcasts I think you'll love


Guess what?! I am officially halfway through my first summer semester of PA school! It’s just crazy to me, because it both feels like it has flown by and it feels like I’ve been here for 6 months, not 6 weeks.

But this means 6 more weeks (plus one day) of really hard work. I’ve heard that this next gross anatomy exam is the worst of the bunch, and it’s messing with my head a little bit. Cranial nerves are hard, ya’ll! So once I’m done here, I’m headed off to the library for the rest of the day.

One of the things I’ve been thinking a lot about is my mental sanity. Studying this much information this quickly has a way of turning you into a caffeine-fueled stress-monster. In the past, I may have taken a night (or, honestly, a full day) off to just relax and binge-watch Netflix, there just isn’t time for that anymore. So I’ve been trying to working in other small self-care tactics into my day that will help me relax and re-focus without losing time.

Each day, I have to take a bus home from the last building where I have classes because it’s too far to walk. During that time, I’ve been listening to some of my favorite podcasts. Not only does it make the commute more enjoyable, it gives me time to A) not look at a screen and B) think about something other than school. Then when I get home, I’ll keep listening on a speaker while I make dinner, do my dishes or prep my lunch for the next day.

So, here’s a list of some of my favorite podcasts (in no particular order) that I thought you might enjoy! Got any favorites I should know about? Leave it in the comments!


MODERN LOVE

About:
“Modern Love features top actors performing true stories of love, loss, and redemption. It has included performances by Kate Winslet, Uma Thurman, Angela Bassett, Jake Gyllenhaal, Sterling K. Brown, and more. A collaboration between WBUR and The New York Times.”

Why I like it: Admittedly, I’m a hopeless romantic. Plus, I am captivated by the ways in which different people navigate the world, and I think when we’re discussing love and human connections, we can learn a lot about ourselves.


CRIME JUNKIE

About: “Crime Junkie is a weekly podcast dedicated to giving you a true crime fix. Every Monday, Ashley Flowers will tell you about whatever crime she’s been obsessing over that week in a way that sounds like you're sitting around talking crime with your best friends. The storytelling is straightforward and free of rabbit holes so the cases stay suspenseful and are easy to follow. If you can never get enough true crime... Congratulations, you’re a Crime Junkie! You’ve found your people.”

Why I like it: I’m going to just say it – I’m fascinated by true crime. True crime documentary on Netflix? I’m watching it. Podcast about it? I’m tuning in. I can’t exactly put my finger on why I find this stuff so interesting (maybe because it’s just straight up crazy?!) but I’m pretty obsessed. Crime Junkie picks great stories (oftentimes less popular ones that you haven’t already heard about) and I think these ladies are great story tellers.


THE NOCTURNISTS


About:
“The Nocturnists is a live show and podcast where doctors tell stories from the world of medicine. Based in San Francisco and hosted by physician Emily Silverman, our show is animated by a deep-seated curiosity about health, disease, and human connection. Welcome to the family.”

Why I like it: I haven’t listened to many episodes yet, but I’ve loved what I’ve heard so far. For people working in health care, it really humanizes things. Gives you some new perspectives, as told by some really awesome story tellers.


DR. DEATH

About:
“We’re at our most vulnerable when we go to our doctors. We trust the person at the other end of that scalpel. We trust the hospital. We trust the system. Christopher Duntsch was a neurosurgeon who radiated confidence. He claimed he was the best in Dallas. If you had back pain, and had tried everything else, Dr. Duntsch could give you the spine surgery that would take your pain away. But soon his patients started to experience complications, and the system failed to protect them. Which begs the question: who - or what - is that system meant to protect? From Wondery, the network behind the hit podcast Dirty John, DR. DEATH is a story about a charming surgeon, 33 patients and a spineless system. Reported and hosted by Laura Beil.”

Why I like it: SO BINGE-WORTHY. I literally don’t think I took out my earbuds until this whole series was over, that’s how good it was. And if that description above doesn’t have you hooked, I don’t know what will. It’s like the perfect combination of healthcare drama and true crime – my two favorite things!!

TRUE CRIME GARAGE

About:
“Each week Nic & The Captain get in the garage and talk true crime and drink beer.”

Why I like it: Again, I have a thing for true crime. This one does more popular crimes than Crime Junkies (think, Casey Anthony and Tupac Shakur). Pro tip though? The beginning is boring. Fast forward through the first 2-3 minutes to get to the good stuff.


DIRTY JOHN

About:
“Debra Newell is a successful interior designer. She meets John Meehan, a handsome man who seems to check all the boxes: attentive, available, just back from a year in Iraq with Doctors Without Borders. But her family doesn’t like John, and they get entangled in an increasingly complex web of love, deception, forgiveness, denial, and ultimately, survival. Reported and hosted by Christopher Goffard from the L.A. Times.”

Why I like it: Just like Dr. Death, this one is totally cringey and binge-worthy. And not to give anything away, but the last episode may be the greatest plot twist of all time! I think that whole last episode my jaw was on the floor.


THIS AMERICAN LIFE

About:
“From WBEZ Chicago Public Radio, This American Life podcast gives listeners touching, humorous and often unexpected vignettes of life in America. Hosted by Ira Glass, these weekly short stories are an on demand version of the popular radio show and available in Stitcher's Society & Culture station. Consistently ranked #1 Podcast in the US. New episodes available on Mondays.”

Why I like it: I love a good story. While I don’t listen to all their topics, I have really enjoyed a lot of these episodes. Wonderfully curated content that has, on many occasions, given me a more open mind, deeper appreciation for things, and enlightened perspective. Highly recommend.


S-TOWN

About:
“S-Town is a new podcast from Serial and This American Life, hosted by Brian Reed, about a man named John who despises his Alabama town and decides to do something about it. He asks Brian to investigate the son of a wealthy family who's allegedly been bragging that he got away with murder. But when someone else ends up dead, the search for the truth leads to a nasty feud, a hunt for hidden treasure, and an unearthing of the mysteries of one man's life.”

Why I like it:
If you love a good twist, you’ll love this. But be ready for things to get surprisingly emotionally deep. I don’t want to say too much and give anything away, but have the tissues ready. A really excellent podcast.


SAWBONES

About:
“Join Dr. Sydnee McElroy and her husband Justin for a tour of all the dumb, bad, gross, weird and wrong ways we've tried to fix people.”

Why I like it: Okay, full disclosure, I haven’t actually listened to this one yet. However, it was a recommendation from a fellow podcast-loving PA student, so it’s on my list! Plus, it sounds funny and entertaining and it’s about medicine, so what more could I ask for?!


The descriptions of these podcasts were borrowed from Stitcher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t