Skip to main content

Semester in review: Fall of year one

I MADE IT. Two semesters of didactic down, three to go. After spending the summer on campus, this was my first semester as a distance learner, and I'll admit that it was quite challenging. Here are some of my main take-aways from my fall semester:

PA school is so time-consuming

This obviously isn't new information to me. I knew going into this that PA school was going to be my life and I wasn't going to have much time for anything else. I've heard the stories from former students about missing weddings and other events or studying during family gatherings.

But, guys, actually living it is so much harder than I expected. Maybe you read my post about what my day-to-day schedule looks like. Study, work, eat, study, sleep, repeat. It's been a grind. Today, I watched probably seven hours straight of TV shows because I didn't know what else to do with myself. Yes, Netflix, I'm still watching.

The amount of information you learn will blow your mind

Psychology, neurology, ENT, dermatology, ophthalmology, hematology, oncology, endocrinology. I have learned all of these things in just a matter of months. It's a little bit scary because sometimes I feel like I take the test and then everything falls out of my brain to make room for new information. I know it's in there! But it's just going to take practice to solidify everything I've learned.


Balancing a new job and school was challenging

I've been a dietitian for years. So when I got a new job and started training in August, I figured it would be a cake walk. Ooooh, was I wrong! I stretched my brain power to its absolute limits this semester. Learning at work. Learning at home. So much information to try and retain.

I ended up having big-time imposter syndrome at my job, I felt like my brain was fried, and I had a total meltdown this semester. I came up with a plan (and got my butt back into therapy), and I'm happy to report that I've been feeling better. Still stressed and overwhelmed and tired ... but overall, better.

Being a distance learner is isolating

I didn't really have "friends" at my new job yet. I didn't have time for my old friends. I sat cooped up in my office for hours and hours studying. I went to coffee shops to study but the only words I spoke was my order to the barista. Again, the fact that being a distance learner was going to be isolating wasn't a surprise to me, but actually living it was much harder than I anticipated. I'm a big extrovert, so this was a challenge.

I learned to embrace quality time over quantity

Like I said, I don't have much time for my friends, but I absolutely cherish the time I do get to spend with them (and my family). It's really hard not to feel guilty about doing things other than studying, but I tried really hard to just shut off my school-brain and focus on being with my friends and family. Plus, this time is so dang important for your mental health. I needed this. I'm still working on finding the right balance, but I know socializing and focusing on something other than school is a must.

Your friends and family may surprise you

I knew I had a supportive group of people in my life but, wow, I learned just how lucky I am. My family is so understanding when I have to say "no" to things, and I have friends who check in on me to make sure I'm hanging in there.

And best of all, I had friends (in PA school and not!) who made an effort to regularly meet up with my for study dates at coffee shops. Or even trips to the grocery store together! I can't accurately describe how important this was. It's these gestures of support that absolutely helped me keep my head above water. You know who you are, and I could literally tear up thinking about how grateful I am to have people like you in my life.




Yes, it was a very challenging semester. Potentially, due to the content and the training at work, the most challenging.

But I learned so much (both from my coursework but also about balancing PA school with the rest of my life). I am very happy with my job, I am so grateful to be in PA school and to have his opportunity to learn and work at the same time. I have been able to focus on my goals and have gotten nothing but support from the people close to me.

So while I may be stressed and a little overwhelmed most of the time, I really couldn't ask to be in a better place right now.

But I will also say this. I'm very, very, very excited to be on a short little break now and I'm hoping to savor every bit of downtime before classes start up again on January 6!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t