Skip to main content

Online PA School: 20 Tips for Success

I'm a distance education student, which means I'm quite familiar with this whole online learning thing. I'm not going to sugar coat it -- it can be isolating, which is further impacted by the pandemic. But I will say this -- with the right mindset, a lot of patience and dedication, and support from classmates, friends and family, you can totally do this.

  1. Have a dedicated study space or two. This will help you stay focused.
  2. Never study in bed -- keep that area strictly for sleep.
  3. Get enough sleep! PA school is dang hard and you need a non-groggy brain.
  4. Keep a schedule. Mine involved getting up at 5am every day. Gross, I know.
  5. Set timers if that helps you stay focused. Study for 50 minutes, chill for 10 minutes.
  6. Put your phone in the other room. Instagram can wait.
  7. Have a study crew. Me and two other students in my area would get together to study all day at a coffee shop before each exam, and we transitioned this to Facebook video messenger after the pandemic. This was a lifesaver.
  8. Consider not wearing yoga pants every day. Yes, they are the epitome of comfort. But I think subconsciously they can make me lazy. Look good, feel good, do well.
  9. Make time for friends, exercise, socializing, whatever gets you feeling recharged. Since the pandemic, I've made time to hike with two friends almost every weekend.
  10. Accept the fact that you will ugly cry during this adventure. And that's normal.
  11. Have the right tools. I have an HP laptop that turns into a tablet, and a monitor. Perfect set up for watching lectures and simultaneously taking notes in OneNote.
  12. Have the right resources. Like most PA students, I relied heavily on PANCE Prep Pearls. I also really like Lange Q&A for practice questions. Osmosis Med is wonderful for videos.
  13. Take care of yourself. Be active and get some sunshine, fuel your mind and body with healthy foods, and take care of your mental health.
  14. Taking anatomy? Get some colored pencils and a drawing book. Drawing things out helped me understand it better, and it's nice to change up the studying method!
  15. Get a programmable coffee maker. It's easier to get up early when the magic bean juice is ready and waiting.
  16. Consider having a giant whiteboard in your study space. Use this for making to-do lists that are always visible, or for drawing/writing things out.
  17. Don't. Get. Behind. I know it can be easy to say that you'll catch up later but believe me, that's a recipe for disaster.
  18. If you're watching pre-recorded lectures, try to avoid pausing and rewinding too much. Before you know it, a one hour lecture has taken up two hours of your time. Treat it just like an in-person lecture. But put those slow talkers on 1.5x speed!
  19. Don't hesitate to ask your classmates or professors questions. I remember not wanting to "look dumb" during anatomy but you're doing yourself a real disservice if you don't ask. Learn and move on. Chances are you're not the only one with that same question, anyway.
  20. Practice gratitude. Online learning probably isn't the way you planned to start PA school. But you got accepted into PA school and now get to work toward your dream of becoming a PA-C! This is all going to be worth it.


You can do this! Good luck.

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t