Skip to main content

Online learning: More tips from a distance student

Back when I heard my university (and many others) weren't planning on having students come back after spring break, I put together a post about my tips for learning online. Now having heard that new students are going to have to start their programs from home over the summer, I want to share a few more tips that have helped me be successful.

1. Study with other students.


No, it's not the same as all hunkering down in a study room at the library together, but being able to talk things through with other people and quiz each other is invaluable. Figure out who your people are, and get on a video chat regularly. This will help you stay accountable to getting your work done, too! Before COVID (BC), I would get together with a couple of friends the weekend before big exams, grab coffees, and study together. Now, we get together on a Facebook Messenger video chat and talk for anywhere from 2-4 hours about the topic at hand. And it has still been amazingly helpful, even if it wasn't an in-person.

2. Set timers to stay focused.


Being a little stir-crazy is awful for my concentration, which is why before the pandemic, I would change up the scenery by going to a coffee shop or the library to study. But since my options are now limited to my desk or my dining room table, its been a little more challenging to stay on task. As I've mentioned before, having a schedule is a must. But more than that, I'd recommend also setting timers for your study time. For me, I set a timer for 50 minutes and study without distractions during that time. Then, I set a timer for 10 minutes. I get up, stretch, play with my dog, get a snack, refill my water, scroll through Instagram, whatever. And then the cycle repeats.

3. Set up a great study space.


I'm lucky in that I have a house and was able to re-purpose a spare bedroom as an office. My desk is right by a sunny front window, I have a big whiteboard for making lists and charts, with a chair and ottoman for when I'm sick of sitting at my desk. Even better is the second monitor I purchased. If I recommend any one bigger purchase, this would be it. I can have my lectures playing on the monitor and be either typing or writing out my notes on my laptop (which flips into a tablet). Additionally, my study spaces are limited to my office and occasionally my dining room table (more room to spread out, haha). My couch is for relaxing and me bed is for sleeping -- not studying! I think this division of space helps me stay focused as well.



4. Set clear boundaries with your family.


I live alone so I don't have good advice in this area, unfortunately. But I do think this may be the #1 most challenging part for students. The workload in PA school is immense and the learning curve is steep. When I was a full-time student last summer, I basically would eat, sleep, and breathe PA school. My meals were simple, my free time was extremely limited, going to the grocery store was my "break", and honestly, I don't even think I did my laundry very often. Your boyfriend, or wife, or kids, or whoever is close to you may think they understand that you're going to be busy, but this is going to be an adjustment for everyone. A big one. Try to prepare them as best you can and set clear boundaries on your time.

5. Start working now to manage stress. 


PA school is hard. And as we're all learning, social distancing is hard. Take this time before school starts to really figure out how you're going to manage your stress and start building good habits. Sleep, exercise, journaling, meditation, mindfulness, Zoom happy hour, hiking, yoga, phone calls with Grandma. Whatever gets your head in the right place, do it. Whether we like it or not, this is going to be the new normal for awhile. And while the safer-at-home order may affect you differently by the summer, I think it's a good idea to be prepared, especially since the intensity of PA school can be very isolating, even without a pandemic.

6. Know that YOU'VE GOT THIS.  


You are not alone. Your family, friends, fellow students, faculty ... they all have your back. My university hooks up new students with both a faculty mentor and a student mentor -- use these people! They are there to help you. If you don't have a mentor, I strongly encourage you to find one. Being able to bounce questions or thoughts off of someone who had been there is an amazing resource. Plus, you wouldn't be in PA school if the admissions committee didn't think you could handle it. You totally can handle this. Yes, there may be days that you ugly cry in the shower, but you're strong enough to dry your tears and move on. So remember, you are not alone and you've got this!


For more tips, check out this post about how to have a successful semester in PA school. For thoughts on how to be an efficient and focused online learner, check out this post. For a picture of a cute dog chilling in my office chair, look no further.



Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t