Skip to main content

Finding balance (and avoiding more mental breakdowns)

This past Tuesday evening, I took (and passed!) my Neuro Module exam. WHEW. What a huge weight off my shoulders that was. This also marked approximately one month since the fall semester started, and I took a little time to reflect.

I mean, I was forced to reflect on what wasn't going well. Because I had a total meltdown the Saturday before my exam and desperately needed to do a little check-in with myself to get back on track.


As many of you know, I'm a distance education student. That means I am doing school "part time" (ha) while working part-time as well. I totally underestimated how challenging this was going to be. I started a job at a new hospital (still working as a dietitian) and the learning curve has been monstrous. Different charting, different processes and protocols, and a different level of learning. This hospital is a teaching hospital and that permeates even into the dietetics department. I wasn't prepared to get pimped as an RD, but here we are!

I was having imposter syndrome. Here I was, an experienced RD, feeling like a total newbie. And that was uncomfortable. I expressed this feeling to my manager during my one-month check-in, and she was so supportive. Normalized this feeling for me, expressed that she understood I'm both learning at work and learning with school and it's A LOT. Hearing her say that out loud was the most comforting thing. She got it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't in the clear after this. Neuro is a beast, ya'll, and thanks to work and preparing to go back to the university for a campus visit, I was feeling strapped for time and behind on my studies. So I tried to prioritize how I watched my lectures and somehow missed an assignment.

When I realized this, I just lost it. I'm talking big ol' tears and everything. Obviously I don't want to miss any assignments but in the big scheme of things, this wasn't the end of the world. I wasn't going to fail. But to me, it felt like "Exhibit A: I Can't Handle All This." And I felt like such a mess. So I stepped away from my computer, took a hot shower, and tried to get myself together.

I wish I could say that since then, I've been miraculously better. I haven't. But I am taking steps to find a balance, process and schedule that works for me. Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. If I don't take care of myself, I will burn out. 

Deep down I know this, but it's so easy to feel guilty about taking time away from studying. So when I made a draft schedule (see below), I knew I needed to include some time for relaxing, exercising, or hanging out with friends. Yes, this is going to be fluid and may need to move around, but it's important for me to see that there will be time to decompress and recharge my batteries. I've started hot yoga, I've ridden my bike to the coffee shop to study, and Milo and I try to go on 2-mile walks as often as we can. And those things feel so good.

2. I need to be better at saying "no" to friends and family. 

This one sucks. I'm a social butterfly and I know that being around people makes me happy. For example, a friend recently hosted a Top Chef inspired cooking competition for her birthday and it was literally the best thing ever. My heart and tummy were both so full. This stuff is so important to me. But when you have that and a dinner and then a pal wants to get drinks and you're trying to sneak in yoga once or twice... before I know it, I'm behind in my school work. So, I need time for fun, but it can't take away from my studies. Balance.

3. When my home/diet is messy, I feel more anxious. 

By the time my Neuro Module exam was done and I got back from my two-day campus visit, my house was a wreck. Studying papers and mail piled up on the dining table, a sink full of dishes, an empty fridge, and a dangerously low level of clean socks. I spent hours last night cleaning and sweeping and doing laundry and grabbing groceries, and even though I didn't get much studying done, I feel so much better. So, I knew this kind of stuff needed to be part of my weekly schedule. Staying on top of this stuff will keep my anxiety down.

4. Playing catch up is the worst, so that's going to require some sacrifice. 

Do I want to come home after a long, hard day at work and watch lectures. Absolutely not. I'm tired.  I want some tea and a walk with Milo and some couch time. But that just isn't going to work. I've learned that if I don't stay on top of my lectures, Saturday morning means TONS of catching up and I hate that feeling of being so far behind. My work schedule isn't exactly ideal for my studying, I'm realizing, but now I just have to make the best of it. And that means working all day, a long walk with Milo, and then buckling down to study. This is also why the cooking and meal prep needed to be part of my schedule -- then I'm not wasting time cooking when I need to just sit down and watch lectures.

5. No one has this totally figured out, and that's okay!

When I visited campus this week, I asked the campus students how they've been handling things. Even though they're not working, they're taking twice as many classes, which just blows my mind. And you know what? They feel a little lost and unbalanced, too. Making time for everything takes practice and some trial-and-error. We're all trying to find balance. I'm not alone, and I need to be patient with myself as I figure it out.


I ended up drafting a calendar for myself (what can I say, I'm a very visual person) so that I can stay on track with, well, everything that I'm juggling. This isn't set in stone, but I think it's going to be a good framework to keep me on track and help me find some important balance.


NOTE: No, the boxes aren't equivalent to the time spent on each thing! I wish I could say the amount of time I have for free time on Sundays is equivalent to the time spent studying. In reality, it's more like 8-10 hours studying, 2 hours for assignments, and 2 hours of free time. But you get the idea!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t