Skip to main content

No Buy 2020: January Review

If I'm being totally honest, I went into this No Buy thing with a healthy amount of skepticism. You see these folks post on Instagram about saving a bazillion dollars and to me it just seemed... unreal? Like, I kept telling myself that I generally only buy the things I need and therefore doing a No Buy probably isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Like I mentioned in my first No Buy post, I got a lot of messages from people about how good it made them feel to be smarter about their spending. And since I've been stressin' about my finances, I decided I'd take any good vibes I could get ... even if I didn't see huge results in the end.

You guys, my mind has been blown. A little more than halfway through the month, I logged into my credit card app and decided to check in on how my spending was going. "You've spent 28% of your monthly average."

28%?! You've got to be kidding me. 

And now that the month is complete, I can proudly report that I only spent 60% of my monthly average. It's mind boggling, honestly.

To be clear, I'm only looking at my credit card spending, which is basically everything except my fixed/recurring expenses (mortgage, internet, car payment, car insurance, energy bill). So my credit card spending is essentially any shopping, groceries, gas, etc.

I'll say a lot of things went well this month:
  • I've focused a lot on using what I already have (ie., I found hairspray in my stash of extra toiletries instead of buying new). 
  • Used a giftcard to buy some groceries from Whole Foods (where I will never be shopping again because one brown bag of groceries cost me $45 and that's insanity)
  • I also had the ability to work more hours at the beginning of the month, which meant more income (okay, so not really related to my No Buy but good news for my overall financial picture).
But I also worked hard to curb my spending:
  • Definitely wanted to grab takeout a bunch of times, but resisted the urge 
  • Didn't buy a new long iPhone charger and stopped myself from buying a bunch of new books and clothing
  • I wrecked a pair of jeans and instead of going out and buying a replacement pair, I found a stash of old jeans to try on and *hopefully* will find a pair that fits to add to the rotation
  • Trips to the store were much more purposeful, and I even used coupons!
And I definitely still had fun and prioritized my spending for time with friends:
  • Grabbed snacks, treats and pizza for a cozy movie night in, and my friend rented the movie
  • Bought myself coffee when I studied with friends 
  • Got lunch on a snowy Saturday afternoon with a pal (quality time + pizza = <3)
Oh... about the coffee thing. Remember when I made the rules and said no coffee shop snacks and no fancy drinks? I plan to stick with the "no snack" thing (cuz I seriously do not need a $4 cookie) but coffee is a simple pleasure for me. A treat for studying hard. And as a friend put it "but coffee is one of your favorite things in the whole world!" It's true. Of the 23 transactions I had this month, 6 of those were coffee. And I'm not upset about that.



I did, however, have some unexpected spending:
  • I must have ended up downwind of a baby gender announcement party, because I found my car covered in pink dust after studying with a friend. So, I got a cheap carwash ($4). 
  • I've been having some odd cardiac symptoms recently (tachycardia, palpitations, feeling faint), so I purchased a $35 BP monitor (because taking your own blood pressure manually is surprisingly difficult!) and a $150 pocket EKG monitor. I'll definitely be going into this more in a future post, but these were some unfortunate unexpected expenses.

I'll also say the beginning of the month was the hardest because I felt like I was saying "no" to myself all the dang time. But honestly, once I got used to the idea of just not buying anything I didn't really need, that deprivation feeling got smaller and smaller.

I also realized a fair amount of my desire to spend is emotionally driven. For example, I had a rough day at work the other day. I was crabby and tired and really wanted to get pad thai on my way home. "But it's only $11" and "but I had a bad day" and "I deserve a nice dinner!" I was cranky and I wanted comfort food. But I resisted the urge because I knew if I justified this then, there wouldn't be much stopping me from justifying it again the future. It looked like a slippery slope, and I avoided it. 

Overall, I am stunned and impressed by how big of an impact starting a No Buy has already had on my spending habits. And I'm super jazzed knowing I took a big chunk out of my spending even with those unexpected expenses. And while I know not every month may be this successful, I think this was an amazing way to start my No Buy year.

Goals for February:
  • Keep using my notebook to track my spending
  • Try to use up food and pantry items I already have
  • Give Aldi another try for groceries (even though what I spent was only ~77% of what I usually spend, I still feel like I can do better)
Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t