Skip to main content

2020: My "No Buy" Year!

One of the intentions I recently set for 2020 was to stop spending needlessly. There's a really important reason for this -- clinical year is coming. And while I may have the luxury of working a part-time job right now, that's going to go out the window as soon as clinical year rolls around. Ultimately, what I want is to have enough money saved that I can stay in my house without having to get a roommate for that time (I'm getting too old and like my personal space too much for a roommate anymore!).

I had a shocking revelation when I was paying my credit cards. Sure, it started because I got a notification that said I've spent less in November than in recent months (cool!), but upon further investigation, I was asking myself, "but how did you even spend this much??"

In November, I had managed to spend an average of $30 per day. And in previous months, that figure has loomed closer to $40. And that didn't include my mortgage, car payment, or utilities!

*mind blown emoji*

What in the heck am I buying?!

I'm certain that this, at least to some degree, has to do with stress related to school and life in general. In my mind, I've probably been rationalizing stupid purchases with "but this will cheer me up." And while that may be true, being able to live in my home without a roommate during clin year is going to bring me far more joy than any cute coffee mug can.

Honestly, I have no idea where I heard about the "No Buy" trend, but for someone who has never been super good at budgeting and wants to make a significant dent in my spending habits, cutting the crappy spending cold turkey sounded like a pretty good idea.

But I hear with these kinds of things, it makes sense to set some rules, because I can't buy literally nothing. And while everyone's rules probably look a little different, here's how mine have shaken out.

Things I can't buy:
  • New clothes, shoes, purses and accessories
  • Cafeteria food or fast food
  • Coffee when I'm not studying or coffee shop snacks
  • New books -- I have a library card and that's free!*
  • Makeup, if I'm not truly totally out of something
  • Home decor, kitchen gadgets, etc
  • Unnecessary "necessities" -- I have a huge stockpile of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc, that I need to use up first, even if the brands aren't my favorite; also, do I really need to buy things like paper plates? Probably not.
  • Gym memberships or yoga punch cards -- the one exception here could potentially be getting a reduced/zero cost membership through my work's wellness program, but that would likely require me to go to the gym a certain number of times each month and I'm not sure I can commit to that
Things I can buy but need to be smart about:
  • Bars and restaurants with friends --  because I get to spend such little time with my friends, I'm definitely allowing this, with the expectation that I choose affordable options when able
  • Coffee -- sometimes I need a change of scenery and I want to study at a coffee shop (which has honestly happened less than I expected); I can go and buy one non-fancy/cheaper drink (like drip coffee or tea) and no snacks
  • Haircuts for me -- there have been far too many tears after haircuts at cheapo places, so I'm sticking with my salon, but we're going at least 10 weeks in between, and the hair color I got this month will be my last!
  • Haircuts for Milo -- after giving Milo his first DIY haircut at home and it turning out semi-successfully, I've decided every other haircut for him will take place at home to save money, but he'll get a professional one in between so he doesn't end up looking totally goofy
  • Toiletries, paper products, etc -- I have a Costco membership until October, so I'm hoping I can get good deals on basic necessities
  • Travel -- with summer break from school next year, I know I'm going to be traveling to at least one place; travel is super important to me, but I'll do everything I can to keep costs down by using things like Student Universe for flights and crashing with friends/family when possible
  • School-related things -- if there's a resource I feel like I need and I can't find it anywhere for free (borrow it from someone, get it from the library), then I'm okay to buy it; do I really need new binders to organize my notes though? Probably not.

Things I can buy relatively unrestricted: 
  • Gas, oil changes, and other necessary car-related things
  • Gifts -- I'm not a big gift giver to begin with so I don't see this being a big deal
  • Groceries -- I have less time to cook but eating healthy is a priority for me, so I've been allowing myself to buy slightly more expensive groceries for the sake of convenience while not losing out on the healthiness
*I have a confession to make. Knowing I had plans to start a No Buy, I was SUPER naughty and bought a bunch of books on Amazon. In my defense, I looked to see if they had ebook or audiobook options on Hoopla, a free app I use with my library card. But this is clearly
Exhibit A for why I need a No Buy!!!


A lot of people say that if something breaks and they absolutely need it, then they can replace it, and I think that's a fair loophole to have in place. The idea is, also, that you try and fix whatever it is first before you replace it, which I can get on board with.

There's a couple of other things I'm on the fence about, such as Netflix/Hulu (I don't have cable) and things like charity fun-runs I might want to do with my friends or sisters (but do I really need to spend $35 for another T-shirt??).



I'm planning to monitor everything I purchase by writing it down in a little notebook (which I already own!) because I think this helps with accountability. Am I really willing to write down this purchase as a necessity? Or is it really more of a "want" that I shouldn't be buying at all? Writing down what you eat can help with changing dietary habits, so why wouldn't the same theory apply for finances?

Overall, I'm both scared and excited about this No Buy challenge. My goal is very clear (be financially secure when entering my clinical year), and I have laid out lots of rules to make this happen (although I'm sure there's plenty of things I haven't quite thought through).

I posed the idea on Instagram recently -- I'm thinking of doing a No Buy, would anyone be crazy enough to do this with me?!


A 50/50 split. Twelve votes in each category! I'm honestly surprised there was anyone who voted that they needed this kind of challenge, too.

I ended up getting a lot of supportive messages from people about it. Many of my friends have done this challenge or tried something similar in the past and told me about how good it made them feel, how it helped them reach their goals, or how it changed the kind of consumer they are. All these messages were honestly encouraging. I've had this post written for days but hadn't been yet ready to commit to publishing it. "Am I really going to do this? Can I really commit?" While I know I can't be perfect, I do think the possible benefits of this challenge far outweigh not trying it at all. So here goes nothing!

Wish me luck!

P.S. While most of the messages were positive and encouraging, there was also this. From my sister. HA.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t