Skip to main content

Being a distance PA student: Campus visits


As a traditional distance education PA student at my university, we have to come back to campus twice each semester. I only live about an hour and a half drive from campus, so this isn't a big deal for me, but many people have to fly in from out of state to be here for these visits.

Campus visits are our time to participate in hands-on activities like the campus students. Some of the labs we're completing include:
  • Wound care
  • Casting and splinting
  • Sterile technique
  • Lumbar puncture
  • Suturing
  • Chest tube placement
  • Testing blood sugar
  • Using different types of inhalers and peak flow meters
  • IV/blood draws
  • ...and much more!
It's also during these visits that we work with standardized patients or visit the VA to work with real patients there. Additionally, we'll come back right before our clinical year for a course on surgery. I seriously can't wait until we get to that point!





Each visit lasts anywhere from two to four days, and I'm lucky enough that one of the friends I made over the summer lets me crash on an air mattress on her living room floor during my visits! Definitely helps to save money not having to get a hotel room. Since she's a regular campus student, she'll be off to clinicals next year, which means I'll either have to get a hotel or find someone else to crash with. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Because I'm a "part-time" (ha) PA student, I'm still working. This means having to take PTO for these visits, which kind of stinks (I'd rather use my time off for real vacations!), but I'm glad I have an employer who can accommodate this time away from work.

It was interesting, because a lot of people asked me this visit if I wish I had been a campus student instead. I'll admit, at first I was disappointed that I didn't get a campus spot because it meant stretching out my education to a third year. And then when it was time to leave campus at the end of the summer semester, I was desperately sad to be leaving my classmates and heading home to learn alone.

I will say, I've embraced all the positives about my situation, too. My friends from school are still amazing and happy to call or text whenever I need it. Those bonds are still alive and well! I get to keep working which not only keeps up my clinical skills, but it's obviously good financially. It also gives me a bit of a "break" from the classroom. When I think about my campus friends who sit in a classroom watching lectures 8-5 five days a week, my head spins. I don't think I could sit still that long!!

At the end of the day, I am so happy to be where I am, having this amazing opportunity to learn from a distance through a great university. Sure, it's taking me a bit longer, but it's going to be so worth it in the end! 

Check out more of my posts to learn what it's like to be a distance PA student and what my daily routine looks like.

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t