Skip to main content

My PANCE Study Plan

I'll start by stating the obvious -- the study habits of one person won't work for everyone. I think that by this point in our PA school journeys, we have all realized this! But this feels like an important caveat to mention right upfront when talking about studying for the PANCE. I have spoken to recent grads and read various posts online about studying for the PANCE and if I've learned one thing so far, it's that everyone studies differently ... sometimes a lot differently!

My plan in particular may seem a little too brief for some. But it's important to note that I've had other important studying opportunities throughout clinical year:

PAEA EOR Exams

This is the first year my school has used the PAEA EOR exams (they had previously written their own exams), and many of us were caught off-guard by how challenging these exams were. This isn't a bad thing -- I was forced to amp up my studying and I think I'm better off for having to take these exams. One other important thing to point out is that my school groups together EOR exams. So for example, at the end of one rotation, I would need to take two exams: internal medicine and psychology, family medicine and women's health, and emergency medicine and pediatrics. Surgery was the only stand-alone exam. So this means I had eight weeks to study two large topics at a time, which meant I needed to really stay on task with my studying! But again, I think I'm better off for having studied very consistently throughout clinical year. 

CME Resources Certification Exam Review

My school was also kind enough to provide us with a week-long virtual PANCE review course. And while it was absolutely no fun to feel like I was back in didactic year lectures, it was a really excellent review. We had the opportunity to purchase the biggest binder I think I've ever seen with copies of all of the lecture slides and took short practice exams at the end of each day. We completed this mid-way through our elective rotation and honestly, I wish I could have taken the PANCE right after while everything was fresh in my mind! We did take the PACKRAT at the end of the week, and I was really happy to see that my score had improved by 30 points from when I had taken it at the end of didactic. 


Now, admittedly, after my last round of EOR exams and Summative exams, I was feeling a bit burned out. So I stopped studying. Seriously. I needed a break to spend time with friends and family, deal with some of my house preparations, and enjoy some much needed time on the couch with my dog! And I tried not to feel guilty about it. 

I really think that worked. While it's a little difficult to get back into the swing of things if you're not in the habit of studying daily, I think I'm going into this next month feeling refreshed and ready to go!

PANCE Study Plan

  • April 24 - May 8: Rosh practice questions and Lange Q&A practice questions (while finishing my final elective rotation)
  • May 9 - May 13: TBD; this is my final week on campus, but I'm not sure if I need to be there every day yet ... and May 13 is GRADUATION!
  • May 14: study-free day
  • May 15 - May 24: Topic-based studying; these are going to be my biggest, heaviest days of studying. I'm planning to use PANCE Prep Pearls and my CME Resources binder to focus on individual topics and then complete focused Rosh practice questions at the end of each day.
    • May 15: Neurology and Psychology
    • May 16: Cardiology
    • May 17: Cardiology, again
    • May 18: GI and Endocrine
    • May 19: ENT and Ophthalmology
    • May 20: Nephrology and Urology
    • May 21: Dermatology and Orthopedics (then Charlie Berens show!)
    • May 22: Women's Health and Rheumatology
    • May 23: Pulmonology and Pediatrics
    • May 24: ID, Pharmacology and Antimicrobial
  • May 25: Complete a practice test that I bought from All Things PA-C (it was cheaper than the ones offered through the NCCPA). 
  • May 26: Maybe review a few final things that I need, but otherwise take the day to take care of ME. Get my mind and body ready for the PANCE. 
Yes, this seems like a lot in a very short amount of time. But I'm a person who is motivated by being under pressure! Plus, I think by building in a few fun plans, I'll be able to keep my focus. Additionally, I may use podcasts to augment my studying ("Physician Assistant Exam Review" has been recommended to me by numerous people), and I plan to do a decent amount of studying away from home in an effort to maintain my focus (coffee shops, public libraries, etc). 

Again, no two people are going to study the same. I've learned throughout my three years in PA school what seems to work for me, and I've tried to keep that top-of-mind with building this study schedule. Fingers crossed that it works!

Rest-of-my-life Plan

If the PANCE was the only thing going on in my life, that would be sufficient! But apparently, I like to live in a constant state of chaos, so of course there's plenty of other things to keep me busy:
  • Close on my house early May
  • Have the bathroom completely remodeled in the month of May
  • Move the beginning of June
  • Run away to Canada with my sister on a camping and hiking trip 
  • Start my family medicine job near the end of June, assuming I don't get eaten by a bear!
Thanks to everyone who has followed along with me on this journey. While I'm planning to post some more updates as I graduate, (hopefully) pass the PANCE, and start my job, I'm not entirely sure what this blog will look like in the future. Thanks to everyone who has been great moral support to me along the way! 

Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t