Skip to main content

Rotation #5: Emergency Medicine (and other life updates)

During PA school clinical year, you learn a lot of things. And one of those things is the many different ways in which you can be exhausted. Mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually ... and many other ways that I can't currently articulate because, you know, I'm tired. 😅

I was a little bit worried about making a decision about a job before I had even tried emergency medicine. I had been told before I even started PA school by a mentor that I would probably end up in emergency. And I could see why -- I like wounds, excitement, drama, stress, action. Sounds right up my alley! 

I want to start by saying I think I probably learned the most on this rotation. I had great preceptors (yes, even the guy who almost made me cry was a good teacher), felt like I was building on a solid foundation from my previous rotations, and had the chance to see a wide variety of diagnoses. From STIs to broken bones, head lacs to gunshot wounds (including one with a retained bullet in the rectum), DKA to a massive calcified clot on the end of a central line, heart attacks to necrotizing fasciitis ... I got to see a lot. 



This rotation was mental gymnastics. Coming up with strong differentials quickly and balancing multiple patients at once, knowing the right imaging and labs to get, and coming up with appropriate discharge plans -- whew! And if that wasn't enough, work shifts that range from 6am-2pm, 9am-9pm, 1pm-11pm, and 10pm-7am. Bounce from overnights to early mornings and somehow be able to function! This is maybe the one downside to living in an apartment building during clinicals -- people are not always so quiet around here during the daytime. Oh well, I lived! And I have a lot of respect for the people who live this life; it's not an easy one. 

And it's not just about the work-life balance. It's also about the patients. There's a lot of death and loss, homelessness, drug abuse, patients with inadequate care at home, mental illness. I heard the screams of a mother who just lost a child. I saw a patient try to injure herself right in front of me, and then begging to die. 

That's the emotional exhaustion part. The in-your-face reminder of the intimate role we as healthcare providers play in the lives of our patients. I'm grateful to be here, but this isn't an easy job to have.




Let's change the subject, shall we? If surviving my clinicals and trying to stay alert and oriented x3 wasn't enough, I decided to start looking at houses. Initially, this started as a research endeavor. I knew the housing market has taken a big turn in the last couple of years (which worked very much in my favor when I sold right before clinical year), but I wasn't really sure what this was going to mean for me hoping to buy. I was nervous that things were going to be priced really high (uh, that turned out to be very true). But during my research something happened. 

I found a house I really liked. 

They always tell you not to look before you're ready and to not look above your price range and blah blah blah. And I made that rookie mistake! So then I decided, well, I've been down this road before. Lots of times the photos look better than the house in person. I'll go see it and realize it's not that great and can get on with my life. 

Welp, I still liked it. 

Long story short, I put in an offer and after some competition and back-and-forth, my offer was accepted! I wish that was the end of it, but if you've bought a house before, you know that's not really the case. We had the inspection, a lot of big things came up, I panicked, we negotiated for THIRTY-FOUR days, and finally came to an amendment we could both agree on. And the appraisal came through above offer. WHEW. So now it's smooth sailing until I close in early May. 

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t