Skip to main content

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end. 

If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging. I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently. 

That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least!

One big tip? Don't be afraid to ask for feedback. Because here's the thing. If you're missing the mark with something, then at least you will know what to focus on. Or, you'll be pleasantly surprised to hear positive feedback (even if you're convinced they think you're a dumb*ss). 

I distinctly remember one day being near tears at least twice (once because I was exhausted and I felt I was doing especially bad with the pimping, and once because the OR nurse had decided it would be fun to bully me when I was already emotionally at the end of my rope), and I asked for feedback at the end of the day. Yes, I needed to review anatomy, but also I was doing a really good job catching on in the OR (assisting with the patient before and after the procedure, using the laparoscope, that kind of stuff). Honestly, that positive feedback is what kept me from falling into a pit of despair for the whole weekend. It was exactly what I needed to hear, but I wouldn't have heard it had I not asked. 

It certainly wasn't all bad. Again, it was a great learning experience. I had the chance to see a lot of different diagnoses:

  • cholecystitis and biliary colic
  • all kinds of hernias
  • anal condyloma and hemorrhoids
  • diverticulitis, crohn's and ulcerative colitis
  • bowel resections and ostomies
  • total and partial mastectomies
  • lipomas, pilar cysts and sebaceous cysts
  • hydradenitis supprativa (lots of this, surprisingly!)
  • amputations (both in the OR and post-op care)
  • roux-en-y gastric bypasses and sleeve gastrectomies
  • and so much more!
I really started to work on getting my suturing down, and had more chances to use the stapler! I was seeing patients independently in the ED, assisting in their cases in the OR, and then doing their post-op follow-up. It was really nice to be a part of the care from start to finish (well, without seeing them follow-up in the clinic, I suppose, but close!). 

I'm also really happy that surgery was first for me. You're nervous as heck for the first rotation, and you're going to be nervous for surgery, so why not get it all done in one shot?! Ha. Plus, learning to suture on sedated people is really nice! 



What's next? Internal medicine. I'll be working for a small private practice in their clinic as well as seeing their patients at a large metro area hospital (where I used to work as a dietitian!). I'm both excited and nervous, but that seems to be the name of the game when it comes to clinical year. Excited and nervous and stressed 100% of the time. 

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during