Skip to main content

The Big Transition: Didactic to Clinical Year

I'm back! No better time than the transition between didactic and clinical year to resurrect the blog, am I right? Let's do a quick look back on didactic year and talk about what's ahead. 


Review of Didactic Year

As a reminder, I was a distance education student, so unlike most PA students who complete didactic over one year, I did it over two years and completed most of it from my home community. Because I was "part-time" I was able to work and even started a new job during my didactic period (probably wouldn't recommend that...). I worked 24 hours per week during my first year (because the job was new and quite challenging, and I was doing the "Big 3") and then increased to 32 hours during my second year (because, hi, money is nice and I felt more comfortable stretching myself a little thinner, haha). 

I've written in the past about how I studied in PA school, so I won't repeat that here. Instead, I will say this: doing PA school part time and being able to continue working was a great experience. I do have some concerns about the "Big 3" content being a year ago already (do I remember it?!), but being able to keep my foot in the door at the hospital I work at, keeping my patient care skills alive, and honestly, having the opportunity to step away from life as a PA student was really great. Plus, during a pandemic, it gave me the chance to be around other humans. I seriously can't imagine being a full-time PA student stuck at home doing online school during a pandemic. For those who went through that, I give you all major credit for surviving!!

And you know what the end of didactic means -- white coat ceremony! We were able to do a socially distanced version in person this year with family and friends watching a live video stream. It was great to be able to mark this major turning point in our education together. 


Thoughts Heading into Clinical Year

I am terrified. I'm just going to be honest about that. Like I said before, because my didactic education was stretched out, I'm worried I've forgotten a lot of information. But there are two things I remind myself about to keep me off the hypothetical ledge: All the students who have gone before me have survived. We did the PACKRAT last week, I did fine, so I must know more than I think I do. 

I'm trying to give myself a little grace. I may not feel 100% going into my clinicals, but I can't go back and change anything. Instead, I can commit to being a good learner and having a really good study schedule for my upcoming EORs (end of rotation exams). 

We had clinical orientation week this week, and I am wildly overwhelmed. Quizzes, assignments, online learning, radiology modules, evaluations, CEXs (???), daily patient logging ... my to-do list just got REALLY long. And then add reviewing for what you're seeing on rotations as well as studying for the upcoming EORs and it is a lot. 

Again, everyone who has gone before me has survived. I will, too. I foresee more crying in the shower like I did at the beginning of didactic, but I will survive! Haha. 

And if you're curious here's the list of my rotations so far:

  • Orthopedic surgery (4 weeks)
  • General surgery (4 weeks)
  • Internal medicine (8 weeks) 
  • Family medicine (8 weeks, rural)
  • Emergency medicine (8 weeks)
  • Electives (TBD!)
I'm a little bit sad because my internal medicine was originally planned to be split (4 weeks internal medicine and 4 weeks of surgical ICU). Unfortunately, the SICU wasn't able to be confirmed in time, and so I'll be doing all 8 weeks in internal medicine, with some of that being outpatient. Not exactly my ideal situation, but I'm sure it'll still be rich with good learning opportunities. 

Life Updates

I wouldn't be me if I wasn't making my life as wild and hectic as possible! I made a last minute decision to sell my home and move into an apartment during my clinical year. While there was a plethora of reasons which I won't bore you with here, I knew this wasn't my forever home and with the market being so hot right now, it was a great time to make some good money (important for someone with grad school debt who is now unemployed!), and I liked the idea of having less responsibility while going through my clinical rotations. In other words, the short term CHAOS I am currently dealing with will be worth it in the long run. 

The timing isn't exactly ideal; I'm moving two days before I start my orthopedic surgery rotation! But, I'm choosing to look at this like a glass-half-full situation and at least it is happening BEFORE I start my rotations. It's all about perspective right?? And, it also means I've been so busy worrying about moving that I haven't been able to worry too much about rotations. Ha!

Blog Moving Forward

Posting will likely continue to be inconsistent, but I'm hoping to share my life as a clinical year PA student! Not only will this be a great place for me to debrief, but I hope you learn something, or at least can be entertained. 

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t