Skip to main content

No Buy 2020: April Review

"I haven't blogged about April's spending yet," I thought, as I lounged on the couch after a long day at work. Wondering how things netted out, I opened my credit card app and navigated to the page that showed my monthly spending totals.

WHAT IN THE WORLD. I shot straight up, apparently thinking this would give me a better look at the total. I spent just 33% of my 2019 monthly average. 

I think a few things played a major role in my spending dropping so significantly.

  1. The Safer At Home order has been in effect since the end of March, meaning I was trying to limit my trips out as much as possible all month long. 
  2. To reduce the number of shopping trips, I was definitely more cognizant about using food items I already had on hand.  
  3. No dinners and drinks with friends. No coffee or happy hour dates. And since that was a major loophole in my No Buy (being able to spend money when I was being social), I'm sure this was a big factor. 
  4. With the end of the semester approaching, I was hunkering down and pretty preoccupied. Apparently too preoccupied to spend!
  5. No birthdays, baby showers, gifting holidays. Except my own birthday, ha. 
  6. Nowhere to go? No gas to put in the car! 
  7. The hospital where I work was very generously providing free meals for all front-line staff for most of the month.
I do genuinely think this was a fluke. I'm already well on my way to spending more this month -- had to restock the pantry and freezer, spent my birthday money (and then some, oops) on a end-of-my-first-year present for myself, I need to replace a very broken ceiling fan in my bedroom, and I'm working my regular hours again (and therefore putting gas in the car for the first time in awhile!).

And don't get me wrong. There's a small part of me that thinks, "oh you did such a good job. You deserve to spend a little somethin' on yourself!" but I'm really resisting the urge! Instead, I try to remind myself that this is more I can throw into savings to make clinical year a bit easier.

One other thing I've noticed is that my credit score has been going up! My credit card app shows me my FICO Score and updates on a monthly basis. Compared to May 2019, it's now 65 points higher! Not going to lie, I don't totally understand how those scores are calculated, but I must be doing something right.

With my No Buy year already one-third of the way done, I'm feeling pretty confident that I can finish the year strong. Have I been perfect? No. But I'm thinking about spending so much more critically and I've been able to work toward a really nice clinical year nest egg. And I'm really damn proud of that.

Thanks for reading,
Olivia

P.S. I posted on Instagram that I was so shocked at how my spending during social isolation had changed, and I wanted to know if my friends had seen something similar. Of those who voted, 72% said they also spent less, and a couple people messaged me to say that nothing really changed. Interesting!



Milo and I documenting our isolated life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t