Skip to main content

Life During COVID-19: Update 2

I, like many people I talk to, am frustrated and confused. Government regulations are constantly changing, we're hearing stories of nurses going out to crowded bars the minute they re-open, and I have spent more time than I'd like pondering whether cloth masks are worth a crap.

So here I am, writing about my frustrations, because I really don't know what else to do.

I care deeply about my family and friends. I want my aging grandparents with heart failure to stay well. I want my immunocompromised friend who is going through chemotherapy during a dang pandemic to be safe. I want my friends and family who are nurses to work safely in hospitals that aren't overrun with sick patients.

I've "snoozed" more people than I care to count on Facebook, because it pains me to see what they're posting. In one of the latest, an old co-worker shared a post that essentially said, "if you don't feel safe, then you can stay home. I shouldn't have to be isolated or wear a mask to protect you."

That breaks my heart.

I keep coming back to this thought that we as a country haven't always behaved this way. Now, we think wearing a mask is an infringement on our rights and haircuts are more important than public safety and hoarding hand soap and sanitizer is somehow acceptable behavior.

In 1918, there was the Spanish Flu. And when states issued mandates for people to wear masks, people pretty much followed the rules. It was a patriotic thing to do.

But it's not just about masks, specifically. It's about making sacrifices for the greater good. Think back to when "Meatless Tuesday" and "Wheatless Wednesday" became a thing during the first World War, to ensure soldiers overseas could be fed. More than 11 million people pledged to take part in this effort.

And sure, maybe we weren't always the most obliging folks. During WWII, voluntary rationing wasn't going to cut it. Along came the Emergency Price Control Act and war ration books, which discouraged hoarding and helped ensure that everyone got their fair share. It wasn't a perfect system, but it was an effort to help all Americans get the food they needed. To keep everyone healthy.

Don't forget, also during WWII, women went into the workforce to fill the gaps in the industrial sector, aiding especially in the aviation and munitions industries. I don't know about you, but I probably wouldn't love the idea of throwing on overalls and helping build planes, but they did it because it was what needed to be done. We banned together to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Where's our Rosie the Riveter now?

I don't want this to be a political post. I want this to be about public health and people and caring and compassion -- things that seem to be in as short supply as toilet paper these days.

I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted. I don't know what the right answer is, and reading the latest news and research seems to just give me more anxiety and a headache.

Early on in the pandemic, I shared an article which showed that cloth masks are pretty ineffective (surgical masks didn't fare much better either). But now I'm seeing that experts are saying universal masking of any kind really could help flatten the curve. It seems that wearing a mask and practicing social distancing would allow us to safely go out and for more businesses to reopen, at least in some capacity. Isn't that a good compromise?

If there's a chance that a cloth mask does offer some amount of protection, shouldn't we do it? Sure it's annoying but if it could save a life, isn't that what matters? Because, remember, wearing a mask isn't just about protecting yourself, it's about protecting others if you're an asymptomatic carrier. Or not yet showing symptoms.

And seriously, it's just wearing a mask. No one is asking you to work in a factory and make ammunition or build planes or stop buying butter and sugar and beef. Just cover your face. Is that really so bad?

Plus, it's not like this is the only public health effort out there right now. Here's an example. Smoking inside bars and restaurants used to be allowed. But then we decided it wasn't fair for people to be exposed to carcinogens like that, so we outlawed it. Yeah, smokers weren't thrilled about it, but we didn't just tell non-smokers "hey, if you don't feel safe, you can just stay home!" No. Some businesses made adjustments to keep customers safe and happy, like building patios for smokers. But we made the necessary adjustments to keep people safe.

Admittedly, I'm struggling to know how to behave or where to draw the line between caution and crazy. What I do know is that COVID-19 is killing people. And I think I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm not an epidemiologist or research scientist, but I am trying to find the most reputable resources I can. We're all learning as we go.

So you'll see me shopping at Trader Joe's with a mask on (a store that's done a wonderful job limiting the number of people in the store and doing their best to enforce social distancing). I'll wear my mask if I need to buy something from Menards, without complaint. I will probably still choose takeout over dining in if given the choice, I likely won't be going on any in-person dates any time soon, and I'll likely continue to limit my contact to my family. I'll continue to shop infrequently, keep my distance, and wash my hands.

It sucks and it's lonely but I think it's important. And it's not forever.

In my opinion, we should take a cue from Rosie and make choices for the greater good. Just in case.

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t