Skip to main content

Life During COVID-19: Update 1

Life during COVID-19 feels like it changes by the day. So, I've decided to document my experiences as a PA student, a hospital dietitian, and just with life in general. Here goes!

Student Life: Honestly, not much has changed for me, minus the fact that I was supposed to go to campus this coming week for some clinical skills. Because my program involves two years of didactic learning, I'll be able to catch up on these skills at a later time. However, I was really looking forward to seeing my friends. Also, social distancing has meant that I can't study with my friends at a coffee shop before big exams like I had been. We've made it work by having Facebook video calls, which allows us to still collaborate and test each other, but it's just not the same.

Hospital Life: Since there's no scheduled/elective surgeries, the dietitian workload is actually a little lighter than usual, which means more people have been able to take PTO or get projects done. As things with COVID-19 are changing by the day, it seems, I'm feeling a bit stressed. The anticipation is killing me, in a way! However, our staff has been staying on top of pertinent nutrition research, participating in relevant video conferences, and sharing knowledge. I feel like we're doing everything we can to be prepared.

Our hospital has also been great when it comes to providing support. We get daily emails with updates, they are providing a meal to all inpatient employees daily, and there's even cute little chalk art by the entrances thanking people for being there. I know that's a small gesture, but it feels nice to be appreciated.

Life in General: I miss my people. *cries* As a self-proclaimed extrovert, I am struggling with not seeing my friends and family. Sure, we can do video calls but it just isn't the same. I'm sad about not getting together for my birthday or Easter. I know that social distance is super important, but that doesn't mean it isn't hard.

Definitely didn't realize how much I used grocery shopping as an excuse to get out of the house. I'm trying to limit my trips as much as possible, and that's definitely a change from normal! I also totally loved going to coffee shops to get work done. I didn't do it terribly often, but enough to get my brain refreshed and recharge my batteries. Sigh.

On a brighter note, I am loving seeing people out and about! Walking their dogs, riding their bikes. Maybe it's social distancing. Maybe it's cabin fever from winter. Maybe it's both! But it's great to see people getting some fresh air and exercise. Milo and I have definitely been doing the same! We went for a three mile walk yesterday and it was a great dose of exercise, vitamin D, and stress relief for me.

Thanks for reading and stay safe,
Olivia


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t