Skip to main content

My Pre-PA Story: Turning down interview offers and losing big deposits

I flipped the page over on a 2019 calendar before I tossed it in the trash today. January 2019. In big, all capitalized letters I had written "MADISON INTERVIEW." Wow, that feels like it was an eternity ago.

Interviews are such an exciting and stressful time. I spent hours and hours drafting answers to sample questions and made sure my "key messages" came across in my answers. I practiced answering them out loud to be sure I could confidently get my thoughts out.

When I heard back from School A about an interview, I was thrilled. I knew the competition was going to be stiff, but having a public relations and communications background, I feel like interviewing is one of my strong suits. I prepared like crazy and went for the day-long interview.

We toured the school, talked with current students and one former student, enjoyed a casual lunch, watched a presentation about the school, and then completed our interviews. I interviewed the with program director and another faculty member, and felt really good about how it went.

And what do you know, I got an offer. Words can't describe how amazing it feels to know that this journey you've been working so hard to be on is finally going to be a reality. I was over the moon.

Then, I got an interview offer for School B. I actually declined the offer to go interview at that school because I had already accepted a spot at School A, and School A was higher on my list. In other words, even if I got offered a spot at School B, I would have wanted to stick with School A. So in order to not take a coveted interview spot from someone else, I politely declined.

Time passed and I paid two large deposits to School A, still hoping that I would hear back from Madison. It's so hard when some schools have rolling admissions (offer interviews and spots in the class as they see applications they like -- so apply early!) and some schools don't. I can see benefits to both, but as a prospective student, it caused me a lot of anxiety.

And then it happened -- I got offered an interview at Madison! It was a two-day interview, and to be entirely honest with you, I was so dang excited to be there, the experience was a bit of a blur. Again, there were campus tours, presentations about the program, and I did an interview with two pairs of faculty members that were each 15 minutes long.

After that interview, it was so clear to me which school I wanted to choose. The vibe I got from the students, staff and faculty was so different than School A. School A was very serious and stiff. We only got to talk to one former student unsupervised, and the discussions with the current students were with faculty present and felt very structured. Madison, though, was much more relaxed and down-to-earth. We got lots of opportunities to talk with current students without faculty or staff monitoring the discussion. The students were in the "holding area" where we hung out before our interviews, and they were so great to talk to. Plus, they were chattering excitedly among each other about things they were learning and it was so blatantly clear that they loved being there.

My interviews were also great. During one of my interviews, we strayed from the interview script and had a really great discussion about patient education and challenges associated with it. I felt like they respected my thoughts and insight, and it felt like I was having an easy conversation with a colleague. (And I will say this, that feeling has stuck now as part of the program. They often say "as a future colleague" and treat all the students with a surprising amount of respect.)

So I left with an accidental $60 parking ticket and a desperate hope that I would receive an offer to be a part of this class. But now I had to play the waiting game.



Knowing that I was going to be starting PA school one way or another in 2019, I took a trip in February to Costa Rica! And wouldn't you know, I was going to find out if I got accepted while I was on that trip. So before we were headed out for our activities that day, I logged into my email one more time just to see if their decisions had been sent out.

And there it was.

I GOT ACCEPTED!



It was a whole mix of emotions for so many reasons. Pure joy because I loved this school and couldn't wait to be a part of this program. Huge relief because financially this was a much better option for me. A twinge of sadness, because getting accepted into the distance program meant school for three years instead of just two, if I had gotten into the campus program. Then more relief because this meant I could live in my home and keep working (yay money and health insurance!). Mixed emotions about having to be in Madison away from my boyfriend for the summer, but again, relief that I'd be able to come back after a few short months. (Spoiler alert: the relationship didn't last). But then full circle back to pure joy because THIS WAS REALLY HAPPENING.

It's crazy to look back on this and reflect about what an emotional roller coaster the whole process can be. Stress, anxiety, excitement, defeat, all of it. And it's so hard to live with a ton of unknowns. Am I getting in? Will I have to quit my job? Sell or rent my house? What does this mean for my relationship? How do I need to budget? What loans will I need to get if I get in? What will I do if I don't get accepted this cycle?

This mentality holds true from pre-PA through PA school: take it one day at a time. You can't have it all figured out. And you definitely will find yourself feeling overwhelmed. But take it one day at a time.

So what happened with School A? I contacted them as soon as possible to let them know my plans had changed, and I was out a hefty amount of deposit money. But I knew in my heart that I had made the right decision, and was excited to start PA school in May. As soon as I got back from my trip, I hit the ground running planning for school -- letting my job know I was leaving, finding a sublease for an apartment, and getting my financial ducks in a row.

And the rest is history.

Things to keep in mind for your interview:
  1. You are interviewing the whole time. This also means be yourself the whole time! Say "hi" to other interviewees, talks with staff and current students if you can, and just be your polite and courteous self!
  2. Don't forget, you're interviewing them, too. Have good questions to ask in your interview, don't be afraid to ask current students about their experience if you have the chance, and take note of the general vibe you get from the school. 
  3. Try not to get distracted comparing yourself to your "competition." Everyone has their own unique background and skills, and the admissions committee liked you and your qualifications enough to bring you to the interview. Stay focused on you. 
Good luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t