Skip to main content

The good, the bad and the buggy: Life in a studio apartment


When I learned that I got into PA school and would need to move to campus for the summer, I knew I needed my short-term living situation to accomplish a few things: I needed parking, I needed to be able to bring my dog Milo with me, it needed to be affordable, and I really didn't want to live with any roommates. 

When a studio apartment sublet meeting all my needs showed up in an online listing, I knew I needed to jump on it. Since she had other interested people coming that weekend, I hopped in the car after work and drove the hour and a half to the apartment so I could see it and snag it for myself! 

Since I was living in a 3-bedroom house, I was a little nervous about moving into a studio! I joked that it was going to be minimalist living for the summer. So now that I've been here for almost 12 weeks, what's my assessment? 


I've actually really liked it! The small space is cozy. I love the high ceilings and hardwood floors, I can clean it in no time, and since it's a small space, there's fewer distractions! And I really don't know how to describe it ... but there's something so comforting and easy and low-key about a small space of my own. I think I'm actually really going to miss it!

Milo's favorite spot!

With that said, I've developed a long list of things that haven't exactly lived up to my expectations:

  • Everyone in my building is an early bird. This turned out to be fine since I get up early, too, but at first I was hearing the sound of distant iPhone alarms in the morning. Not cool.
  • Yes, the apartment takes 15 minutes to clean. But it seems to take only about 15 minutes to get messy! And my goodness, Milo and I shed like crazy ... not cool. 
  • The large garbage and recycling containers are right outside my kitchen window (which is feet from my bed, cuz, studio) and the garbage/recycling guys often come at like 5:30am to collect. Not cool.
  • I saw my first (and second) cockroaches ever. In my kitchen. (Excuse me while I Lysol everything. Twice). Not cool. 
  • In general, bugs were a persistent problem, actually. First, I had a swarm of flying bugs enter my apartment when I went to take Milo out one night. Like, a literal huge swarm of bugs made a happy home in my place. Not cool.
  • Fruit flies. So. Many. Fruit flies. (Pro tip: Put out a little dish of soapy water with some apple cider vinegar in it to catch 'em). Not cool. 
  • Old school fuses. One night, I was using the microwave and the air conditioner at the same time and blew a fuse. Fun fact, in a house this old, the fuses aren't switches. They're these screw-in things. And good luck getting a hold of the landlord about that on a Friday night. Not cool. 
  • Since this appears to be an old converted house, I'm like 90% sure my kitchen was a closet at one time. It's seriously that small. So there's only a mini fridge. The first fridge I had was like 25% ice and didn't seem to be keeping anything cold enough (not sure how that works but it was true!). So I had to get it replaced and throw out a whole bunch of food because of it. Not cool. 

The tiny closet-like thing on the right side? That's the kitchen. Yikes!


But in all seriousness, I've loved my time here at the university and in this tiny, cozy studio apartment. This whole summer has been such a wonderful experience -- having my dream of PA school realized, working my butt off to survive anatomy, making amazing new friends -- and I've made memories I won't soon forget. I can't believe it's coming to an end and I'm going to have to say goodbye soon!

I've decided I need to live near a lake! Too beautiful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three months: My life as a new PA-C

As I'm sure many new PA's can attest to, the end of PA school is a bit of a blur. One minute you're finishing up classes and studying for the PANCE and the next you're ... here? Three months into practice and wondering how it happened.  Graduation was on May 13, 2022, and that was a really wonderful day. My parents came to support me, I enjoyed beers on the terrace with my friends, and I felt wonderful standing on the other side of three years of grad school.  After a quick day of relaxation, I hit the ground running with my studying. I stuck with my plan for the most part, and felt equal parts "I can't possibly study any more!" and "But I'm not ready!" when exam day arrived.  I happened to be at the very same testing center as a fellow student, so when we finished our exams, we headed over to the local mexican restaurant to enjoy tacos and well-deserved margaritas. Hilariously, our brains were so absolutely melted from testing that we could

Rotation #3: Internal Medicine (and pondering my future)

When I decided to go back to school to be a physician assistant, internal medicine is what I had in my mind. As a clinical dietitian, I had the chance to collaborate with APPs and loved the idea of being able to provide that kind of care to patients. One of the APPs who I had the chance to work with often while I was a dietitian became my preceptor for this rotation! It was very cool to be standing in the exact spot I had imagined back then.  Back then, though, I did not appreciate just how challenging this job would be! I worked with a small private practice group that has privileges at various area hospitals, and my preceptor and I were based at one large metro-area hospital. The service was crazy busy the entire time I was there, and that was both good and bad. I got to see a ton of different diagnoses, a wide variety of patients, and was challenged to be relatively independent. But dang, it was hard to keep up most of the time. Honestly, I worked more and was more exhausted during

Rotation #2: General Surgery

Another one bites the dust! It's crazy to me that another rotation (and therefore all of my surgery experience) has come to an end.  If I want to be one thing, it's totally honest. This rotation was challenging . I had a ton of fun during orthopedics -- I felt like a lot of providers and residents wanted to show off how great their subspecialties were. And they succeeded! But I didn't get pimped very much and I wasn't seeing patients independently.  That all changed in a big way when I went to general surgery. Did I learn a lot because of this? Absolutely. Did I feel like an absolute pile of garbage most days because I felt like I couldn't do or answer a damn thing right? Yes. Did I talk to my classmates and get some reassurance that many rotations feel like this? Also yes. Thanks for making me feel less alone, guys. The days were long and the list of things to study was even longer. But here we are, one rotation down. We've survived, so far at least! One big t